Winter is here! For your family's safety and your peace of mind we would like you to take a moment to read the following information...
At Reeves Electrical we believe that in winter it's important to take extra precautions and be vigilant with fire safety. Data from all Australian Fire Services shows that during winter there is an increased risk of house fires due to higher usage rates of electrical appliances.
To help identify the risks involved with winter house fires here is a simple electrical safety checklist to make sure your home is safe and free of any appliances or other items that may start a fire.
- Make sure all items meet Australian standards and are not damaged. If they are, throw them away
- Make sure you have an adequate number of fire alarms throughout your house and test them regularly
- Check all electric blankets for fraying and damaged cords
- Make sure that all electric heaters are not kept within 1 metre of other objects
- Always make sure all heaters are turned off as soon as you leave the room or house
- Do not piggyback cords on double adapters or power boards
- Never leave children unattended near candles, matches, or electric heaters and flammable items
- Always handle open flames with care and extinguish them before you leave the room or go to bed
- If you have a fire place make sure the chimney is kept clean with a screen in front of it
- Never leave cooking unattended and always be alert and aware of what’s on the stove
- Always make sure you have an evacuation plan prepared and practiced in case of a fire.
For assistance with any of these issues, please, don't hesitate to call us on 1300 2 REEVES (273 383). We will be happy to arrange a visit to your home, to discuss our services with you.